Thursday, February 19, 2009

I am by nature shy and withdrawn, so, when I did my first book signing, I was nervous and tense. I couldn't imagine speaking up and trying to draw those passing customers over my way; they were obviously busy with something else.

But the refrain of a song kept running through my head: "Feel the fear and do it anyway." I took it as my motto. Before I knew it, I was greeting everyone who walked in with a smile, and asking everyone who looked at me if I could tell them about my book. Some smiled back and said no. Some stopped. Some listened. Sometimes they talked (not always about my book). Sometimes they bought a book, sometimes they didn't.

But suddenly I was leaving booksignings feeling good, whether I sold any books or not. And I started looking forward to the next the same way I look forward to social events.

Bring them on!

No comments: