Thursday, January 3, 2013

Full Speed Ahead

I said in my last blog, in October, that I'd talk about my latest book in the next one. That's not going to happen, so I guess you'll have to go to my web site or to Amazon to learn about Where Did You Die?, the fourth book in the Marge Christensen Mystery Series.

The reason that's not going to happen, and the reason I haven't blogged since October, is that I decided to try something different - my version of NANOWRIMO - the National Novel Writing Month - which was in November. So every moment that I could devote to writing was put into the next book, but I still didn't make my goal of 50,000 words (even though I started 9,000 words ahead). So, I continued through December. Well, you know what December is like. I made great headway, but still hadn't completed a first draft of the novel.

Today, January 3, I finally finished that first draft. This is monumental. I wrote from about the fourth chapter on without once going back and editing before I could continue. This is the way I want to write, if I can keep doing it in the future.

Of course, the novel, which doesn't yet have a name, is far from complete. Since I normally edit each chapter several times before going on, I have a lot of editing and rewriting to do. But that is the fun part. I already know where the novel ends up, and I can spend my time making my sentences as energetic and fun as I can, and I can figure out where to plant clues and innuendo.

One reason the novel doesn't have a name is that I finally got Marge to Michigan -- but only for a visit. So....is this a continuation of the Marge Christensen Mystery Series, so far set in or around Bellevue, Washington, or is this the beginning of a new series, set in Traverse City, Michigan?

No comments: